Job Title: Principal Structural Engineer
Salary:up to £65,000 per annum dependent on experience
Location: Barrow in Furness (hybrid)
We currently have a vacancy to join one of the world's leading, global defence, security and aerospace companies as a Principal Structural Engineer. This role will be based in Barrow in Furness but hybrid working is available- the expectation is 2 days on site every 2 weeks. Flexible working hours are also available.
They work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
The Structures department (SED) is a specialist team of Engineers, who together provide the business with the capability to design all the major structural elements that make up a nuclear submarine. This includes the pressure hull, decks, tanks, bulkheads, and external structures that make up the bridge fin, casing, forward and aft external structures. The department also provides a stress analysis service to other functions in particular pipe stressing.
• Lead the detailed design, support to build, delivery and in-service support for marine engineering and manufacture of large sub-systems. Support to the definition and development of user, system, and sub system requirements through to demonstration of acceptance
• Lead technical specification preparation and management of requirements, acceptance, verification, and validation of requirements
• System ownership and management of transversals and stakeholders, including interface management and part maturity management
• Coordinating all engineering activities conducted within the elements of the departments work breakdown structure which SED is responsible, including managing the engineering dependencies with all non-Engineering stakeholders
• To hold designated design authority for SED aspects of the vessel design including but not limited to elements of structural engineering design and analysis
• To competently select and apply current design standards for naval vessels, including the development and ownership of departmental process documentation
• Specialist understanding and experience in the use and interpretation of the computer based analytical techniques used by the department such as finite element analysis, CAD modelling and engineering schematics
• Represent the department at internal and customer design reviews and to participate/present at external customer design/acceptance reviews
• Enhanced Pension scheme- up to 14% combined
• Flexible working pattern including working from home/ flexible start and finish times
• 25 holiday days plus bank holidays- 26 days after 5 years' service/ 27 days after 10 years' service
• Shared Incentive Plan
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Life Assurance
• Ill Health Income Protection/ Private Medical Insurance- 50% of salary
• Degree qualified in Structural Engineering or Mechanical/ Civil Engineering with a significant Structural Focus. Chartered or capable of being chartered within 12 months is preferred
• Detailed Knowledge and experience in the use of structural/ mechanical engineering principles and practices in a relevant industry
• Detailed Knowledge and experience in systems engineering and engineering specification composition
• Detailed Knowledge and experience in classical structural analysis, ability to use appropriate first principles/ standard or code formulae are considered key qualifications
• Detailed Knowledge and experience in finite element analysis methods and/ or software, or appropriate significant experience assessing such reports
• Detailed Knowledge experience in design and manufacture
You must be eligible to apply for SC clearance and, therefore, must hold a British passport and have lived and worked in the UK for the past 5 years
Whether you're looking for your next job or searching out the next superstar to join your team…
Aeropeople's expertise and experience is entrenched in the aerospace, aviation, engineering, motorsport, automotive, and defence industries. We have the insight and know-how at both a local and international level to help bring people and businesses together, saving time and energy. Our capability is validated through our Engineering Services division encompassing Aircraft Line Maintenance services and Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisation (CAMO), combined with our Aviation Training division offering technical training aircraft courses.
During registration, please let us know where you are currently located or which locations you would consider taking a position in, required salary and notice period.
For the latest news, events and jobs please search Aeropeople Ltd' on LinkedIn and Facebook for our latest jobs