Principal Engineer- Systems Engineering (Bid Tech Lead)
Job Title: Principal Engineer- Systems Engineering (Bid Tech Lead)
Salary: £55,000- £65,000 per annum dependent on experience
Location: Frimley, Weymouth, Portsmouth or Filton
We currently have a vacancy to join one of the world’s leading, global defence, security and aerospace companies as a Principal Engineer- Systems Engineering (Bid Tech Lead). This role can be based at any of the following locations: Frimley, Weymouth, Portsmouth or Filton.
They work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Their Maritimes Services/ Submarines division has approximately 3,500 employees based at 5 UK locations and revenue of £600million, delivering support to more than 50% of the Royal Navy’s surface fleet. Their services include ship upgrades, repairs, dockyard facilities management and provision of combat systems training. They also develop and support the Royal Navy’s complex equipment, such as radar, torpedoes and small boats.
As Principal Engineer – Systems Engineering (CCSv4 Bid Technical Lead) working within the Common Combat System Team you will play a key role in the delivery of the update to the systems architecture and platform infrastructure equipment on which the combat systems for the UK Submarine Flotilla are built.
The Bid Technical Lead role is critical to the business winning activities associated with the multi-year, multi-phase programme. It requires significant stakeholder management expertise, with a particular emphasis of understanding Customer needs and providing technical leadership to the systems engineering team. The Bid Technical Lead represents the interest of the Head of Programme in securing contracts for future phases of the programme, by working for the Programme Engineering Manager to understand the customer requirements and lead engineering planning activities.
The Bid Technical Lead assesses and elaborates on the Customer requirements and clearly articulates the desired outcomes of each programme phase to the systems engineering teams. In turn, this allows the technical proposal to be defined and mature engineering planning to support collaborative working with the Bid Capture Manager, MOD Customer stakeholders, and the Systems Engineering Teams
This role will provide you with the opportunity to partake in engineering strategy and planning activities that help us support our submarines that play a critical role in our nation’s defence. This role could also lead to future opportunities either within the team or wider business.
• Responsibility for leading and influencing the engineering strategy and planning for technology re-fresh upgrades for all Royal Navy Submarine Class Combat Systems. Covering definition of the technical proposals, identification of engineering milestone maturity targets, engineering lifecycle tailoring, work breakdown structure definition and coordination of work package description definition in accordance with Systems Engineering processes, tools and techniques (e.g. requirements and acceptance management, model-based systems engineering, Platform physical implementation, and Integration, Test, Evaluation and Acceptance)
• Reviewing, assessing and elaborating on Customer requirements, influencing the technical strategy and engineering capability-planning (people, processes and tools) for successful mobilisation of future programme phases
• Effective stakeholder management to mature engineering planning estimates, defining the structure of the schedule logic, understanding team inter-dependencies and management of bid management information (assumptions, dependencies, exclusions, limitations, Government Furnished (GF) requirements, risk and opportunity management
• Presentation of technical delivery strategy, and engineering capability requirements to business senior stakeholders to achieve the necessary functional support to deliver
• Supporting the Bid Capture Manager and Programme Engineering Manager with maturity management planning, delivery of design reviews, including delivery of the Technical Bid Review, Capture Phase design reviews, and support to Capture Phase business approval phase reviews (RBA, etc.), in support of delivery to the bid schedule
• Understand, coordinate, and align specialist domain (safety/security/ILS/ human factors engineering) processes etc. with the Systems engineering and design review process
• Management of coherence between architecture, systems and equipment level design activities
• Enhanced Pension scheme- up to 14% combined
• Flexible working pattern including working from home/ flexible start and finish times
• 25 holiday days plus bank holidays- 26 days after 5 years’ service/ 27 days after 10 years’ service
• Shared Incentive Plan
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Cycle to Work Scheme
• Life Assurance (you and your spouse/ partner)- 6 x salary
• Ill Health Income Protection/ Private Medical Insurance- 50% of salary
• Business winning / development experience, with demonstrable experience in successful contract award achievement of complex engineering projects or programmes
• Experience in engineering planning and early lifecycle engineering delivery, including technical proposal / executive summary writing, and work breakdown structure definition
• Customer requirements analysis and elaboration skills, including experience with tools and techniques for requirement elaboration and such as IBM DOORS, Sparx Enteprise Architect, etc.)
• Project Management awareness, with a clear understanding of the different types of projects: Fog/Quest/Movie/Painting-by-Numbers, and able to implement plans to address each type. Experience supporting schedule planning, schedule risk analysis and PERT analysis. Ability to select appropriate estimating tools and techniques
• Technical leadership and stakeholder management skills, with a background of experience in the specification, design and development of complex systems, aligned to ISO-15288 (via Waterfall / V-Model engineering lifecycle frameworks)
• Knowledge of the system engineering lifecycle including delivery and be able to apply good systems engineering practices to your work
• Use of Atlassian Jira & Confluence toolsets
• Risk and opportunity management
• Understanding of relevant engineering standards, including safety and environmental regulations
• We are looking for motivated people who can take responsibility for their own outputs and be confident working autonomously and in a structured manner. You will be capable of supervising others will have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
You must be eligible to apply for SC clearance and, therefore, must hold a British passport and have lived and worked in the UK for the past 5 years
Whether you’re looking for your next job or searching out the next superstar to join your team…
Aeropeople’s expertise and experience is entrenched in the aerospace, aviation, engineering, motorsport, automotive, and defence industries. We have the insight and know-how at both a local and international level to help bring people and businesses together, saving time and energy. Our capability is validated through our Engineering Services division encompassing Aircraft Line Maintenance services and Continuing Airworthiness Maintenance Organisation (CAMO), combined with our Aviation Training division offering technical training aircraft courses.
During registration, please let us know where you are currently located or which locations you would consider taking a position in, required salary and notice period.
For the latest news, events and jobs please search ‘Aeropeople Ltd’ on LinkedIn and Facebook for our latest jobs or visit www.aeropeople.com